There are times when you need a professional for your makeup and hair. That summer wedding where you know you’re going to see an ex. That big milestone birthday like the big 3-0. Or that fancy gala that you’re attending for work. Although there are a lot of salons in the city and professional makeup artists, it can be challenging to find one spot to take care of both your needs – and a place that makes that experience extra special. And that’s just what the newly opened The Glamoury is meant to be. Located in the heart of Yaletown at 1241 Hamilton Street is Vancouver’s first dedicated professional makeup and hair salon.
The space is a blend of art deco with a contemporary aesthetic, with two top firms collaborating on the lavish design, Ste Marie (known for restaurants like Homer Street Cafe & Savio Volpe) and Glasfurd & Walker (Wilfred). The session starts with a personalized approach with The Glamoury’s experience cards – the cards allow guests to tailor their experience – maybe you’re interested in a chatty and educational session (that’s me) or you just want some peace and quiet. To choose the your look, you’ll get a custom artistry look book with hair and makeup styles to choose from.
You’re probably wondering about the team and it’s stacked with the city’s top beauty talent who’ve worked with brands including Charlotte Tilbury and NARS, and have active careers in TV and film. Their kits are a mix of industry picks such as MAC, Make Up For Ever, Anastasia and NARS.
Makeup Look: Spellbound
Makeup Looks include:
- All About Lips: Focus on the lips
- The Bardot: Bronzed glow, dramatic eyebrows, nude lip and winged liner
- The Smoke Out: All about the eyes, contoured skin
- The Glamour: Kohl rimmed eyes, deep red lips
- The Smoke Show: Diffused version of the Smoke Out
- Spellbound: Lush lashes, strong brows
- The Glow: Inspired by Victora’s Secret Angels, luminous, lusty, fresh
- Fall In Love: Berry lips, deep bronzed eyes
Makeup looks are $78 CAD with touchups options if you’re looking for a quick 20 minute update $40 CAD.
Hair Do: French Twist
Hair Dos include:
- Pony Tail: Sleek, some volume
- Slick Back Straight: Sleek and chic
- Beach Wave: Loose, luxurious, modern
- Messy Updo: Light, loosely pinned or add volume and bump up the drama
- Hollywood Wave: Textured wave
- French Twist: Wear loose & messy or sleek & sophisticated
- Blow Out: Glamorous, voluminous and sexy
Blow outs are $48 CAD. Dry Style $36 CAD.
For both makeup and hair, get The Works for $120 CAD – the appointments will be 1.5 hours. And yes, they also do bridal – makeup $100 CAD, hair is $65 CAD.
There’s also retail at The Glamoury, including their own house line of makeup – made in Canada, paraben free and not tested on animals. And also cosmetics such as natural skincare line Indie Lee, and cult fave Embryollise (I stockpiled this on my first visit to Paris years ago) and Smith and Cult.
Pop on The Glamoury by to see the beautiful space for yourself.