Image via OYSHO
Okay, I have a beauty confession: I started shaving my face. As soon as I heard it made for an easier and smoother makeup application, I needed to find out more ASAP! It’s been rumoured that the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor even used to razor their faces.
Razoring your face is like a less intense form of dermaplaning. Dermaplaning is a treatment that gently lifts dull skin cells and fine vellus hair, which is just a fancy name for your peach fuzz. The procedure exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells too. Lots of women have started mimicking the procedure at home for less intense versions of the same results. I have to say out of all the hair removal processes that I’ve tried, this is easy, quick and painless. I love what it does to my skin for a smoother foundation application.
Be careful working around your eyebrows and hairline, I’ve heard a few stories of ladies shaving off parts of their eyebrows. Oops!
There is a myth that your hair will grow back darker and coarser but that’s false, your hair grows back the same way.
Why shave your face?
- Remove dead skin cells
- Remove peach fuzz
- Increase skin cell turnover
- Experience easier and smoother makeup application
- Get skin that feels exfoliated
- Allow facial products to penetrate deeper into the skin
- Increase skin penetration and the effectiveness of skincare products
How to get the best and most effective face shave
- Shave after you’ve cleansed and cleaned your face so that your hairs are softened. I recommend shaving at night when you won’t be applying any makeup afterwards.
- Pull your skin taut in the area you’re working on
- Hold your razor at a 45 degree angle against the skin
- Use short strokes or small swiping motions with a light hand
- Start shaving in the same direction of hair growth, so in a downward motion
- Finish and rinse your face
- Apply your skincare products like moisturizers and serums
- Clean your razor with rubbing alcohol and wipe off on a towel to sanitize
I just order my facial razors off Amazon but I also see that Sephora now carries them under their own brand:
VAGA Set of 3 Lady Razor Shaver, $3.99 CAD, Amazon
Sephora Collection Level Setter Razors, $10 CAD, Sephora
Of course, this is just another form of hair removal, so only do this if you’re comfortable with it. It does end up being something you have to maintain, I do it every two weeks or so. The facial razors are not that sharp but you still have to be careful.