It’s starting to get pretty chilly over on the west coast and the cold weather clothing is coming out in full force. One luxurious trend that shows no sign of going anywhere is faux fur. Seen everywhere from off-duty celebrities to street style blogs, faux fur is chic, easy to wear and surprise, surprise – can actually be pretty effective in keeping you warm! While you likely don’t need a list of reasons of why you should add faux fur to your wardrobe, you may be wondering how to incorporate it into outfits you already have. Here are a few helpful tips to get you rocking the faux fur fad.
- Keep the rest of your outfit simple. Less is more – one faux fur piece at a time! If you’re feeling unsure, go for a black, grey or brown faux fur piece and avoid mixing with loud patterns.
- Dress it down. Faux fur runs the risk of looking a little bougie or overdressed. This can be combatted by throwing in some street style pieces like a beanie or mixing it up with some slashed jeans or sneakers.
- Try accessories rather than the whole kit and caboodle. Not feeling ready to commit the effort (and funds) to a faux fur coat? Try ear muffs, a hat, a purse or gloves to get a taste of the luxe life without the high price tag.
- Go monochromatic. Call me old fashioned, but when in doubt, I go for an all black ensemble. If you’re unsure how to wear your faux fur, opt for a basic black fur and try it with black waxed denim or leather look leggings.
- Try faux fur just at the collar. If you’re not feeling a full fury coat, look for a coat with a pristine faux fur collar – or add a faux fur collar or stole to a coat you already own.
Shaggy Faux Fur Vest, $26.99 CAD, Forever 21
Puff Piece Muff Bag, $59 CAD, Nasty Gal
Halogen Faux Fur Pull Through Scarf, $68.08 CAD, Nordstrom
ASOS Jacket in Vintage Style Faux Fur, $129.64 CAD, ASOS
ASOS Cape With Faux Fur Lapel Collar, $79.78 CAD, ASOS
Talula Park Slope Vest, $110 CAD, Aritzia