As soon as Halloween is done, I start plotting what holiday decor to buy and when to put it all up. I love decorating the Christmas tree and placing a few (OK, several) holiday-themed accents all over the house. Over the last few years, I’ve been a total eager beaver, putting up the Christmas tree before December to not only get into the holiday spirit but also enjoy the tree for as long as possible. If I had it my way (not to mention the budget and storage space), I’d completely change my holiday decor every year. While my current ornaments are more traditional in silver and white with black accents, I am loving some of the modern shapes and textures, not to mention atypical hues, that are popping up this season.
Here are some of my favourite holiday decorations at various stores. Don’t forget to check out my quick tips at the end for creating a Pinterest-worthy Christmas tree.
Although Zara Home is only available online in Canada, they have a ton of modern and contemporary holiday decor options that are festive and stylish
Biscuit with Pine Cones, $49.90 CAD, Zara Home
Panel Effect Baubles Set of 3, $17.90 CAD, Zara Home
If boho glam is more your speed, you’ll find it in Anthropologie’s holiday decor selection.
Vined Monogrammed Ornament, approx $8 CAD, Anthropologie
Capiz Star String Lights, approx $58 CAD, Anthropologie
If you revel in simple and minimalist, H&M has some great decor options that don’t necessarily scream Christmas.
Christmas Print Plateware, $5.99 to 12.99 CAD, H&M
2-Pack Christmas Decorations, $2.99 CAD, H&M
On the theme of keeping it simple and minimal, yet festive, IKEA is a great place to stock up on inexpensive holiday decor.
Vinter 2016 Hanging Ornaments Set of 6, $6.99 CAD, IKEA
Vinter 2016 Hanging Ornaments, Set of 3, Black, $3.99 CAD, IKEA
A go-to Christmas stop of mine since I was a kid, I love perusing the Christmas shop at the Bay. You’re Insta-worthy holiday scene is here for sure.
Christmas Street Modern Cabin Plaid Stocking with Faux Fur Cuff, $20.99 CAD, The Bay
Kate Spade New York Set of Four Arbor Village Tidbits Plates, $64.99 CAD, The Bay
It’s hard not to want everything when you step into West Elm, but if you’re looking for holiday glam and sophistication, this is where you’ll find it.
LED Light-Up Ornament, Gem, $19 CAD, West Elm
Paper Ornaments Blush, $4-6 CAD, West Elm
Tips for Creating a Pinterest-Worthy Christmas Tree
- Stick to an main colour palette with no more than 3 colours. I love white with gold or silver, accented with black. For traditionalists, red, green and silver or gold also work well together.
- Incorporate ornaments of different shapes, sizes and textures to add depth and create visual interest.
- Add sparkle with glittery, mirrored or metallic ornaments. They also catch the light beautifully to add to your tree’s glow.
- Lighting is everything – don’t skimp on lights for your tree. Opt for smaller lights and lots of them to make your tree sparkle.
- A tree skirt will really dress up your tree and give it complete look.
Follow Jan on Twitter