We’ve all heard it before; your make up brushes are a cesspool for bacteria. With dead skin, oils and make up residue all caked in their bristles, it’s time we all learn how to properly clean these bad boys.
First things first: how often should you clean your brushes? Just when I thought I was good for having cleaned mine two months ago (I will not disclose how long it had been between cleanings), I found out you are actually supposed to clean them once every two weeks (depending on use)! Thankfully it is actually super easy if you follow these six simple steps.
- Remove excess makeup from brush with paper towel.
- Pour a small amount of your brush cleaner into a bowl.
- Dip your brush into the liquid. Be sure to avoid getting the base below the bristles wet, as this can result in them loosening and falling out.
- Wipe the brush clean with paper towel.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Lay flat on a towel and let dry for 8 hours (drying time varies based on product used). Try cleaning them at night before you go to sleep, so that they are ready for you when you wake up in the morning.
Looking for a makeup brush cleaner? Check out the products available at Sephora below.
Cinema Secrets Makeup Brush Cleaner, $9 – $40 CAD, Sephora – Touted as the top makeup brush cleaner in the world, it is quick drying (under 30 minutes) and provides deep conditioning. Note: some find the fragrance to be pungent.
Sephora Collection The Natural: Citrus Brush Cleaner, $14 CAD, Sephora – This product is paraben free and leaves brushes smelling fresh and feeling soft.
Sephora Collection Brush it Off Cleansing Brush Wipes, $10.00-$19.00 CAD, Sephora – Skip steps 2-4 above and simply wipe your brushes clean.
DIY: dish soap mixed with hair conditioner can work as a DIY alternative!
Follow Adrienne on Instagram